Saturday, June 14, 2008

GF Birthday Chocolate Cupcakes

Before Steele was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, we'd been making his birthday cakes in a rubber duck 3d pan. He digs the ducks, man.

The first year we tried a GF Cake mix. We ended up with half a duck that was hard as a rock on the edges, gooey in the middle and frightening enough to be in a Wes Craven movie. Steele's cake that year was a large nestle bar with candles stuck to it with frosting dots.

This year I decided to try my hand at cupcakes.

Did you know Pillsbury frosting is gluten free? Not the strawberry, so I hear. Check your lists, be certain. Corporations change recipes faster than my boys change socks. GIGO. The Gluten Fairies ARE after you.

But I digress. I went out hunting my fav GF sites and found a recipe that ROCKED!
This recipe was stolen from http://glutenfreemommy.com/

GIGANTIC DANCING THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!!!!

1 1/4c GF Flour Mix - Sweet (you can use standard too)
3/4t Xanthan Gum
2/3c Cocoa Powder
1 1/2t Baking Soda
1/4t Salt
1 1/2c Sugar
1 1/3c Buttermilk
1/2c Unsalted Butter (1 stick) @ room temp
1 1/2t Vanilla
2 Eggs @ room temperature

Preheat oven to 350

Wisk together all the dry ingredients.

In stand mixer:
Cream butter and sugar together. Beat until fluffy.
Add eggs one @ a time, beating well between.
Add vanilla. Beat some more.
Alternate buttermilk and dry mix, adding slowly and beating well between additions.

This will make a thick creamy batter.

Spoon into cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 17 minutes.

These were amazing. They tasted like normal cupcakes, but richer.
My lot ate the whole pile of cupcakes and Steele got to feel like a normal kid.
I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to make the next time he has to bring a snack to school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you liked the cupcakes. Your disclaimer is hilarious. LOL :)